Legal Nurse Consultant Training Course
This exciting program prepares Registered Nurses and Physician Assistants for a career in the legal field as legal nurse consultants. Building on the medical education and clinical experience of RNs and PAs, this course provides the RN and PA with fundamental skills necessary to advise law firms, health care providers, insurance companies and governmental agencies regarding medically related issues and to appear in court as expert witnesses. The course presents legal concepts related to the health care industry, as well as the role a legal nurse consultant might play in litigation areas such as medical malpractice, toxic torts, products liability, wrongful death, criminal law, and workers’ compensation. Any RN or PA interested in entering the legal field can benefit from the education provided by this course.
The curriculum of this course is based on the text, Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition, published by the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants.
Topics of Study
- Legal Nurse Consultant Practice Areas and Legal Theory
- Ethics for the Legal Nurse Consultant and the Legal Nurse Consultant’s Role in the Litigation Process
- The Environments in which a Legal Nurse Consultant Might Work and an Introduction to Legal Writing
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is offered in two formats. You will choose your format preference during registration. The two formats are:
- Traditional 7 weeks – students have 7 weeks to complete the online course via instructor-led sessions.
- Online Flex – students will have up to four (4) months to complete the course at their own pace.
Continuing Education Units and Contact Hours
42 contact hours or 4.2 CEUs
Additional CEU Information
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation for 42 contact hours
For Content Questions or To Purchase Books
Visit the CLS by Barbri Website